Brigade: the new Kubernetes management tool from Microsoft
- Big Data Brigade DevOps Docker Kubernetes Microsoft News Tools
On the 23rd of October 2017, Microsoft has announced the release of a new scripting tool for Kubernetes — Brigade, an event-driven framework for handling various types of jobs.
Deis, the team behind Helm and Draft, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2017, announced the latest addition to their line of Kubernetes scripting solutions. Brigade is an innovative tool, allowing event-driven scripts to perform various tasks within Docker containers under Kubernetes management.
Brigade features and capabilities
At the time of release Brigade is boasting the following features:
- One-line installation due to native support from Kubernetes
- Fully-customizable event model and projects
- Both synchronous and parallel workflows are available, allowing to build really complex pipelines
- Function execution within the containers
- Complete support of RBAC, Kubernetes pods, volumes and secrets.
Possible Brigade use cases
- Cron jobs, using Kubernetes CronJob to trigger various events at appointed intervals
- Convenient fully-automated testing and continuous integration, due to native Git repositories support, meaning pull and push requests can be the triggers for various jobs
- Workflows for processing Big Data, with fan-out/fan-in or map/reduce being the simplest and most common of the ETL workloads available due to parallel and serial execution
- Batch processing, like running a data analysis or automated in-container backups
- Building own event gateways for various tasks like sorting and responding to incoming emails, monitoring the issue queue — if you can imagine it, you can build it with Brigade.
Brigade empowers the Kubernetes platform, imbuing it with the possibilities of chaining multiple containers for performing literally ANY task a DevOps team might need. Microsoft promises more features are under development and we are sure Brigade will take its rightful place in the DevOps toolkit, regardless if you use AWS or Azure. We are eager to lay our hands on this tool and integrate it into our workflow. What do you think of Brigade? Please share your thoughts in the comments below — and share the article if you found it useful or interesting!
Feel free to browse through the latest insights and hints on the DevOps, Big Data, Machine Learning and Blockchain from IT Svit!
Trust or caution? Importance of NDA for Startups
NDA is one of the main judicial instruments of a startup, both a shield and a sword. Just keep in mind, the importance of NDA for startups is a double-edged sword. Why do we think so?
SLA benefits: why do you need SLA and what does it cover
SLA or a Service Level Agreement is a document highlighting the measurable metrics and results the customer expects to receive and the contractor is bound to provide. We list the SLA benefits below.
Blockchain technology explained to your grandma
The blockchain will shape the future of multiple industries, yet many people still don’t know how it works. We tried to make the blockchain technology explained in a way even a grandma will get.
How to protect the content from web scraping
Every website admin has two diametrically opposite goals: to help the legitimate web crawlers in indexing the website content while protecting it from illegal web scraping. Here is how it is done.